Begich Boggs Visitor Center in Portage is maintained by the US Forest Service. This is a great place to gather information about Anchorage and the Kenai Peninsula. The facilities are only open in the summer but offer a perfect place to stop for lunch, stretch the legs, use a bathroom, and gather information.
- If you’re lucky, you might get to see an iceberg beached on the lake’s shore.
- While entrance into the facility is free, the movie and exhibits cost a small fee.
$5.00 for adults, for admission to movie and exhibits. Children 15 and younger are free.
- If you have a parks pass, don’t forget it! One pass will get the pass holder and three guests access.
- Parks passes can be purchased here.
- Alaska Geographic Bookstore – This is a great place for books and gifts.