- This is a local recreation site just south of Girdwood, near Portage, Alaska.
- Twenty Mile River is a glacier fed river with lots of clear stream tributaries.
- When in season, salmon and hooligan fishing opportunities are available. Most fishing is done from the banks, but if you have a jet boat you can head away from the crowds to the best fishing up river.
- Catch silver salmon from mid-summer well into the fall months.
- Hooligan run mid to late May. If you are traveling along this stretch of highway during this time, be careful of all the fisherman lining the shores along the Turnagain Highway.
- PLEASE TAKE CAUTION and be extra aware of the hazards you may face before heading out on your own boat/watercraft up Twenty Mile. High adventure opportunities are available here.
- There are a few small adventure companies that offer tours on Twenty Mile River. Check out Chugach Adventure’s high adventure Twenty Mile River Heli Rafting package.